Saturday, March 12, 2011

Gluten Free Playdough


Safe playdough.  My little guy never ate the playdough at church or play groups, but just playing with it would cause an eczema flare up even when we washed immediately.  I seached out some recipes and started playing in the kitchen so he could have his own stash of playdough.  Gluten free playdough is fun and simple to make.  I took the recipes I found and adapted to what I had available in my kitchen.  Then we all pitched in to mix this up.

Fun Play Dough
1 c. Rice Flour, Sorghum Flour, or gluten free flour blend
1 c. Cornstarch
1 c. Salt
4 Tblsp. Cream of Tartar
2 c. Boiling Water
2 Tblsp. Canola Oil
Packet of Koolaid (unsweetened)

Mix all the ingredients, adding in the boiling water last.  Mix until well combined.  Store in an air tight container or plastic zip bag.

 I used mostly sorghum in our playdough with just a bit of rice flour mixed in.  It worked perfectly, had a pleasant texture and weeks later the playdough is still soft, pliant, and sweet smelling.  

No comments:

Post a Comment