Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Cream of Mushroom Soup and Chicken Marsala

Dairy free, grain/gluten free!  I have been looking for a cream of mushroom soup replacement for a LONG time!  I love creamy, smooth, delicious sauces and soups.  I finally found one and it. is. Good!

The original recipe came from the Paleo Plan website.  I made a few changes based on our preferences.  I wish I had taken pictures for you!  I was too busy cooking last night to get my camera out.  My little man is sick, so this was the perfect time to try out this recipe since it has fresh garlic.  So without further ado...


Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 Avocado
2 large cloves of garlic
1.5 cups hot chicken broth
1/8 cup Balsamic Vinegar

1 large onion, sliced thin
1 sweet red pepper, sliced
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1 cup grape tomatoes (or fresh diced tomatoes)
Salt and Fresh Ground pepper to taste.

Blend the avocado, fresh garlic, broth, and vinegar in a high speed blender until smooth and thick.  
Saute the vegetables in a little bit of bacon grease, or olive oil.  When the vegetables are tender, add then to the blender and blend all the ingredients until smooth.  Season with fresh ground pepper and a good salt (my favorite is Real Salt although I really need to try some Himalayan finishing salt someday.)


So yummy!  It's about the color of a pumpkin sound when you are all done and is perfect with chicken.  I served it up with a pat of fresh butter melting on top for my husband and dairy free for the kids.  If I'd has some fresh basil, I would have served it with that on top.  If the 1/8 cup vinegar is not enough, add a little more.  I love balsamic so I added more - probably 1/4 cup.


Chicken Marsala (Chelle style)


1 large onion
1 cup sliced mushrooms
2 cloves garlic, minced
1.5 cups nice white wine


Chicken Breast, sliced thin and opened like a butterfly chop(who has time to pound these out?)
Salt, Pepper, and oregano


Slice and open the chicken breast.  Season with salt, pepper, and oregano (or Italian Seasoning).
Heat 2 tablespoons of bacon grease or olive oil in a pan and sear the chicken on both sides.  Once the chicken is nicely browned, remove from the pan and add the vegetables.  Lightly saute.  Add the wine and garlic.  Sautee for a few more minutes, add the chicken back into the pan, cover and turn down the heat.  Cook until chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! We are allergy-free crazy cooks at our house too! I have not found a recipe for this yet. Do you have any suggestions for replacing the avocado? We have an avocado allergy here in addition to wheat and dairy. Who knew you could be allergic to avocado???

    Lexi
    www.hivesinthekitchen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry. The avocado lends a bit of good fat and acts as a thickener. I would probably pulse in some cornstarch and cool water before adding the other ingredients. Then add a splash of olive oil at the very end. Let me know if that works!

    ReplyDelete